These sweet potato oven fries are made with amazing seasonings and baked to crispy perfection, thanks to our best tips and tricks. (Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-Free)
For The Sweet Potato Fry Seasoning:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. celery salt
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne or chipotle chili powder for spiciness
For The Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1.5–2 lbs. sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2” thick sticks/wedges.
- 2–3 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tsp. fry seasoning (see above)
- 1.5 Tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot (optional)
First, Mix Up The Sweet Potato Fry Seasoning:
- In a bowl or jar, combine paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, smoked paprika, and celery salt.
- Whisk to combine or cover the jar with a lid and shake to combine well.
- Store fry seasoning in an airtight jar or container with a lid up to 1 year. (This recipe makes enough for several batches of fries)
To Make Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato wedges, 2 Tbsp. oil, and 2 tsp. fry seasoning. Stir to combine until well coated, adding more oil, if needed so the fries are all well coated.
- If using, mix in cornstarch or arrowroot and stir until fries are well coated and no powdery sections remain.
- Spread seasoned sweet potato wedges out on a baking sheet in a single layer, trying not to overlap the potatoes.
- Bake on a center rack at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are crisp and browned, flipping every 15 minutes for even browning.
- Enjoy immediately with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips For Crispy Sweet Potatoes:
- Leave the skins on! The skins get crispier than the orange flesh of the sweet potatoes, so I recommend leaving the skins on when you can, since they’ll develop that crispy outer coating.
- Add arrowroot or cornstarch. If it works for your dietary needs, adding some cornstarch (gluten-free) or arrowroot (paleo) can help create an outer coating on the fries that’ll crisp up when baked.
- Spread them out in a single layer for more air circulation. If sweet potato fries are packed too tightly, they can steam instead of roast. Try not to let them overlap or touch too much when baking. Use two baking sheets, if you need to!
- Keep That Temperature Up. A higher temperature can really help crisp up the skin and the starch layer
- Eat Them Hot! Sweet potatoes are their crispiest fresh from the oven. If you can scoop them straight from the baking sheet onto your plate, they’ll be at their best!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato fries, crispy sweet potato fries, baked sweet potato fries, crispy baked sweet potato fries