Dirty Risotto – This one-pan dinner is a cross between Cajun dirty rice and Italian Risotto. Loaded with sausage, peppers, and more, this risotto’s got it all! (Gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 8–12 oz. Italian Sausage* (I use 6oz mild/sweet and 6oz hot/spicy)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 8oz mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 5–6 cups broth (veggie, chicken, or beef)
- 2–3 Tbsp fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, or parsley)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- In a large pot (I prefer a Dutch Oven), heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and completely cooked through. Drain excess fat as desired.
- Add bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
- Add in rice and stir in. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add 5 cups of broth to the pot and begin stirring. Stir consistently while the water absorbs, about 20-25 minutes. Taste and check if rice is tender. If needed, add more broth to the pot and continue stirring until rice is tender and creamy. Add salt and pepper, to taste and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
*You can use pork, chicken, or turkey sausage for this recipe. Whatever you like or have on hand!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: About 45 min
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dirty Risotto, Dirty Rice, Cajun risotto, sausage risotto