Gluten-Free Berry Crisp – Colorful berries topped with a buttery crumble topping. Try this mixed berry crisp topped with a scoop of ice cream! (Vegan-Friendly)
FOR THE BERRY CRISP FILLING:
- 6 cups Mixed Berries* (I like a mix of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 1/4 cup Sugar or 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Orange juice (or lemon juice)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
- tiny pinch salt (less than 1/8 tsp.)
FOR THE BERRY CRISP TOPPING:
- 6 Tbsp. butter or vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten-free measure-for-measure or 1:1 flour**
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9×9″ square baking pan and a sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, make your filling. Combine berries, sugar, orange juice, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir to coat the berries well.
- Pour berry mixture into your square baking dish.
- In the same bowl (hooray! save dishes!), make the crisp topping. Combine softened butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Use a fork, pastry blender, or your hands to combine the mixture until clumps and clusters form and there are no dry spots remaining in the crisp mixture.
- Sprinkle the crisp mixture over the berries in the baking dish.
- Place your baking dish on a sheet pan (in case of spills)
- Bake your berry crisp at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until the crisp is golden and the filling is bubbling. (If the crisp starts browning too fast, cover loosely with foil)
- Allow the crisp to cool at least 20-30 minutes before serving. (Be sure to wait, as this will help the filling set.)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free berry crisp, gluten free berry crumble, vegan berry crisp, vegan berry crumble, dairy-free berry crisp, dairy free berry crumble