Fluffy Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes – These impossibly light, fluffy blueberry buttermilk pancakes are gluten-free, dairy-free, and absolutely delicious.
For The Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter or vegan butter (+a tiny bit to grease the skillet)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
For The Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup gluten-free measure-for-measure flour*
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (can sub coconut sugar or use maple syrup with wet ingredients)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or more, to taste)
- First, create our strong “buttermilk.” In a large liquid measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 minutes. (I usually mix up the dry ingredients during this time.)
- Add melted butter, egg, and vanilla to the “buttermilk” mixture and whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. (It’s ok if there are a few small lumps left!)
- Let the batter sit for 2-3 minutes while you heat up the skillet. (This will make the batter even fluffier!)
- Fold in the blueberries (if desired) or add them directly to the pancakes as you cook them (makes for prettier pancakes).
- To cook the pancakes, heat a nonstick skillet over medium hat. Grease the skillet lightly with a tiny amount of butter/vegan butter. (When the pan is hot enough that a drop of water added to the pan will skitter around quickly, you know the pan is preheated enough.)
- Add batter in 1/4 cup scoopfuls to the pan, careful not to overcrowd the pancakes.
- If you haven’t added the blueberries already, immediately add a few blueberries to the top of your batter in the pan.
- Cook the first side 2-3 minutes, or until you see a few small bubbles form on the top and the edges begin to look set.
- Flip the pancakes and cook another 1-2 minutes more, or until the pancakes are fluffy and cooked through.
- If you find your pancakes are browning on the outside before the middles are set, reduce the temperature of the stove a bit to allow them time to cook through.
- Alternatively, you can thin out the batter a bit with another splash or two of milk.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining batter until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Serve with butter, more blueberries, maple syrup, chopped nuts, or sliced bananas!
*We highly recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour for this blueberry pancake recipe. Our second favorite is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free flour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free blueberry pancakes, fluffy blueberry pancakes, gluten free dairy free blueberry pancakes