This Gluten-Free Caesar Salad recipe has all of the classic flavor you crave, simply made gluten-free! Enjoy as a side or upgrade to a main dish with some chicken or shrimp!
For The Croutons:
- 4 slices gluten-free bread, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp melted butter (or olive oil)
- 1/8 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
- Optional: 1/8 tsp pepper, 1-1 1/2 tsp. fresh herbs (like rosemary, dill, or oregano) or 1/8-1/4 tsp. dried herbs (like dill, rosemary, or Italian seasoning), 1 clove garlic, finely minced, or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
For The Gluten-Free Caesar Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (we recommend best-quality mayo, like Hellmans or Best Foods)*
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1–1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (we recommend Annie’s)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (like Lea & Perrins)
- 1/2–1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese***
For The Salad:
- 9 cups Romaine lettuce cut or torn into bite-sized pieces (about 2 heads romaine)
- 1/3–1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (or more, to taste)
First, Make The Croutons:
Preheat The Oven & Prep Your Pan. Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Set out a baking sheet.
Dice The Bread. If you haven’t already, cut the bread into 1-inch cubes.
Coat The Bread. In a large bowl, combine diced bread, olive oil or butter, salt, and any herbs or seasonings you’d like to use. Stir to coat well.
Bake The Croutons. Spread the bread out on the baking sheet. Give the baking sheet a shake to distribute the bread well. (You don’t want any large clumps). Pop the pan in the oven and bake croutons 10-15 minutes, or until they’re golden. I like to stir my croutons halfway through the cooking time to allow them to cook evenly.
Cool & Store. Let the croutons cool, then add to your salad or store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2-3 days.
Then, Make The Dressing:
Prep Your Ingredients. If you haven’t already, grate the Parmesan cheese with a microplane zester and set aside. Measure all ingredients and have them ready to go.
Start Your Dressing. In a jar, small bowl, or liquid measuring cup, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 clove minced garlic, and the pepper. Whisk to combine.
Add The Cheese. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
Taste And Adjust. Taste and add more Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, or Parmesan, as needed. (I like 1 teaspoon Worcestershire, 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 clove garlic)
Serve Or Store. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge 4-5 days.
Assemble The Salad:
Combine The Ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped lettuce, cooled croutons, shaved parmesan cheese, and about 3/4 of the caesar salad dressing.
Toss The Salad. Then, toss with a fork to combine and coat everything well with the dressing, adding more dressing, as desired.
Make-Ahead Tips. If you’re making this salad in advance, it’s best to make and store the components separately, then assemble right before eating so the lettuce and croutons don’t get soggy. Wash and chop the lettuce, make the dressing, make the croutons, and shred the parmesan cheese and store in separate containers until a few minutes before you eat.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free caesar salad, gluten free caesar salad recipe