Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Muffins – These gluten-free double chocolate banana muffins are light, fluffy, and loaded with ultra-chocolatey flavor. A favorite sweet treat that’s easy to make any time! (Dairy-Free)
- 3 medium ripe bananas (about 1 cup pureed or mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub white sugar or maple sugar)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or another neutral-tasting oil)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (can sub your favorite milk instead)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free measure-for-measure flour (we prefer King Arthur Flour Measure-for-Measure flour*)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips for the muffin batter + 1/4 cup chocolate chips for sprinkling on top. (Dairy-free/allergy-friendly, as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with parchment muffin cup liners or grease the muffin cups to prevent sticking.
- In a food processor**, puree or pulse the bananas to get to your desired texture. (My kids prefer their bananas totally smooth. Feel free to leave some larger pieces if that’s your preference.)
- Add eggs, coconut sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla to the bananas.
- Pulse until the mixture is well combined.
- Scrape down the edges of the food processor and add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pulse to combine (this should only take a few seconds! Try not to overmix.)
- Scrape down the edges of the food processor and add 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Use a spatula to stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the muffin batter into your prepared muffin cups, filling them all at least 3/4 full. (They’ll be pretty full!)
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees F. for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean with only a few moist crumbs. (The tops of the muffins should spring back when gently patted.)
- Let the muffins cool 2-3 minutes in the muffin pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the muffins to continue cooling before eating.
*Our other favorite GF flour for muffins is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour (the mixture contains xanthan gum)
**You can also mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher, and mix these muffins up in a bowl or stand mixer!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free chocolate banana muffins, gluten free chocolate chocolate chip banana muffins, gluten free double chocolate banana muffins, gluten free banana muffins, chocolate banana muffins, healthy chocolate banana muffins