This easy gluten-free enchilada sauce recipe is made from pantry staples and tastes AMAZING!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (or another oil)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2–1 Tablespoon canned chipotle chili (packed in adobo), minced (NOT the whole can, just 1/2–1 Tablespoon!)
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water or vegetable or chicken broth (use low-sodium or no salt added)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cornstarch (or gluten-free flour blend), chili powder and cumin. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chipotle chili, tomato sauce and water.
- Whisk to combine and bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Use & Storage: Use in your favorite recipes or store in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
*Be sure to use gluten-free chipotle chiles in adobo, like La Costeña. (Some brands use wheat flour to thicken their sauce, so be sure to check your label!)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: gluten free enchilada sauce, gluten free red enchilada sauce, homemade enchilada sauce recipe, gluten free enchilada sauce recipe