Super fudgy with a molten chocolate filling, this (flourless!) gluten free lava cake is chocolate pefection! (Dairy-free, paleo)
- 3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips (3oz = 1/2 cup chocolate chips), dairy-free, as needed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter, or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease 4 (6oz) ramekins with coconut oil, nonstick spray, or butter. Sprinkle with cocoa powder to help prevent sticking. (If planning to turn the cakes out of the ramekins, I also recommend lining the bottoms with parchment paper. Trace the bottom of the ramekin onto a piece of parchment, and cut out so it fits neatly into the bottom.)
- In a small saucepan, gently melt chocolate chips with coconut oil or butter over low heat, stirring regularly until glossy and smooth. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut sugar, egg, and egg yolk. Beat 2 minutes with a whisk or 1 minute with a hand-mixer until the mixture is slightly lighter in color and the coconut sugar is completely dissolved. (If you dip your fingers in the mixture and rub them together, you should not feel any grains of sugar.)
- Add melted, cooled chocoalate mixture to the egg mixture, along with cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined. (Mixture will be quite sticky)
- Divide mixture among four prepared ramekins and place ramekins on a baking sheet to stabilize.
- Bake cakes at 425 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are set, but the center is still wet.
- Let cakes cool 1 minute and run a thin knife around the edges of the cakes before turning out onto plates (I use a clean dish cloth or an oven mitt to hold the ramkein and transfer them to plates) or serve directly from the ramekins with spoons.
Topping & Seving Ideas: A dusting of powdered sugar, whipped cream or whipped coconut cream, Raspberry Sauce, fresh berries, vegan caramel sauce, toasted almonds, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lava Cake, Chocolate Lava Cake, Molten Chocolate Lava Cake, Paleo Lava Cake, Gluten Free Lava Cake, Healthy Lava Cake