This homemade gelatin recipe is made from natural ingredients, and natural sweeteners, without any dye or additives. It’s a delicious treat for kids and grown-ups alike! (Dairy free, gluten free & paleo approved!)
*Note: the exact nutrition facts will vary based on what juice/juice blend you use. Please consider this an estimate (calculated with a peach-mango fruit & veggie juice blend)
- 4 cups of juice (See notes)
- 2 Tbsp unflavored beef gelatin (such as grass-fed)
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave (optional)
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup of the juice to a bowl or liquid measuring cup and sprinkle with gelatin powder.
- Whisk together to combine and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes to “bloom.” The granules will plump and the mixture will look like very thick applesauce or take on a lumpy appearance.
- Pour the remaining (3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups) juice into a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey (if using) and the bloomed juice/gelatin mixture. Stir to dissolve.
- Pour into an 8×8 (2 quart) baking dish for thick Jello or a 9×13″ baking dish for thin Jello, or into individual glasses or jars for individual portions.
- Refrigerate about 4 hours, or until set. (If you’ve used a 9×13 pan, it may be set in as little as 2 hours)
What kinds of juice can you use for homemade Jello? Almost any flavor of juice! I recommend 100% fruit or fruit/veggie blend juices. The only exception is pineapple. (The enzymes in pineapple can break down the gelatin so it won’t gel properly.) My favorites are a peach-mango fruit & veggie blend (the orange one you see pictured), blueberry-pomegranate, and cranberry raspberry. (all 3 are pictured in the video/photos)
Can I do this without any added sweetener? It’s totally up to you and your taste preferences. Some juices are sweeter than others. I would never sweeten juice for drinking, but the gelatin does dilute the juice flavor slightly, and I find that adding the honey or agave brings it back up to it’s regular flavor. Again, it’s totally up to you!
Keywords: gelatin, jello, homemade jello, healthy jello, homemade gelatin, healthy gelatin, natural jello