Hot Chocolate Spoons – These chocolate-coated spoons are perfect for making your own hot chocolate. They make a fun winter project or easy DIY holiday gifts for friends and neighbors! (Gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo & vegan-friendly!)
FOR THE HOT CHOCOLATE SPOOONS
- 1 (15 slot) silicone ice cube mold (or 15 (3oz) paper cups)
- 15 wooden or plastic spoons
- 12 oz. chocolate chips (or chocolate), dairy free as needed*
- Optional: mix-ins or toppings (see below)
- Mini marshmallows, crushed candy cane, mini chocolate chips, flaky sea salt, peanut butter or caramel chips, toffee pieces, orange zest, etc.
- Prepare your work station by setting out silicone ice cube mold or 3oz paper cups, as well as the spoons you plan to use, and any garnishes you plan to add.
- Put 2 inches of water in a small saucepan and place a heatproof (glass or metal) bowl on top of the saucepan to create a double boiler. (This will melt the chocolate more gently and help prevent scorching)
- Pour your chocolate chips into the heatproof bowl.
- Turn the eat to medium low to bring the water in the saucepan to a simmer. Stir to gently melt the chocolate chips.
- Remove from heat when chocolate is completely smooth.
- Use a tablespoon to carefully scoop the chocolate into the silicone ice cube tray (you’ll use a heaping tablespoon per slot).
- Rap the ice cube mold gently on the counter to smooth out the surface of the chocolate.
- Add any desired garnishes, then gently insert spoons into the chocolate in each section of the ice cube mold.***
- Carefully transfer the ice cube mold to the freezer for about 2 hours to help the chocolate set (you can also use the refrigerator or the counter if you prefer, it’ll just take several more hours to set).
- When the chocolate is completely set, remove the ice cube mold from the freezer.
- Grab the handle of the spoon with one hand and the ice cube mold with the other. Gently wiggle the spoon side to side to loosen it from the mold (be patient so you don’t crack the chocolate!). Repeat until all hot chocolate spoons are out of the mold.
- Place in a cellophane bag for gifting or store in an airtight bag until ready to use.
***IF YOUR SPOONS ARE SLIPPING IN THE CHOCOLATE…don’t worry! Put them in the freezer anyway, and set a timer for 5-10 minutes. After 5-10 mintues, the chocolate will have thickened enough to reposition the spoons just the way you want them. Re-adjust them and continue freezing until set.
TO MAKE A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE:
- Heat 3/4 cup (ultra-fudgy) or 1 cup (regular) of your favorite milk (any will do!) to scalding/almost boiling. Then stir in the hot chocolate spoon until melted.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks, Dessert, Gifts
- Method: Stovetop, Freezer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hot Chocolate Spoons, Hot Chocolate Stirrers, Paleo Hot Chocolate Spoons, Dairy Free Hot Chocolate Spoons, Vegan Hot Chocolate Spooons