This cozy, steel-cut oats recipe is anything but boring. Don’t miss our favorite toppings!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats (gluten free, if needed)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup milk (I use almond, cashew, or coconut), plus more as desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Start By Boiling The Water. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add Oats & Salt. When the water is boiling, add the steel-cut oats and a tiny pinch (less than 1/8 tsp.) of salt.
- Simmer & Stir. Reduce heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed and the oats are tender.
- Finish With Flavor. Stir in milk and vanilla and remove from heat.
- Add Your Favorite Goodies!
- Make them ahead! A great thing about steel cut oats is that it’s almost impossible for them to end up gluey. They maintain their slightly chewy texture and can even be re-heated, so you can make a batch Monday and warm up a bowl each morning for the rest of the week.
- Breakfast on the go. You can pack cooked oats in single serving jars or containers for a quick on-the-go breakfast to warm up at work or right before school.
- Toppings To Try: fresh berries, nuts or nut butter, cinnamon, cacao nibs, peaches, apples, jam, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, etc.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: steel-cut oats, stovetop steel-cut oats, how to cook steel cut oats, steel cut oatmeal