- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats (gluten free, if needed)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup milk (I use almond, cashew, or coconut), plus more as desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When the water is boiling, add oats and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed and the oats are tender.
- Stir in milk and vanilla and remove from heat. Top with your favorite toppings!
Make them ahead! A great thing about steel cut oats is that it’s almost impossible for them to end up gluey. They maintain their slightly chewy texture and can even be re-heated, so you can make a batch Monday and warm up a bowl each morning for the rest of the week.
Breakfast on the go. You can pack cooked oats in single serving jars or containers for a quick on-the-go breakfast to warm up at work or right before school.
Gluten Free? Oats themselves are gluten free, though farming and processing procedures often cause cross contamination with gluten/wheat. If this is a concern for you, be sure to buy certified gluten free oats. We love these.
- Category: Breakfast, oatmeal
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: oatmeal, oats, steel cut oatmeal, vegan, gluten free