Making a wedge salad? From cutting to washing, here’s everything you need to know about how to prepare lettuce for wedge salad.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Wash The Lettuce. Start by washing the outside of the lettuce in cold water.
- Remove the outer layers of lettuce (any outer leaves that looks wilted, damaged, or extra dirty).
- Trim off the tip of the stem, if needed (this sometimes looks an almost rusty-brown). Don’t cut off the whole stem end, just the rusty-looking tip.
- Use a long knife to cut the lettuce in half top to bottom, through the stem end.
- Cut each half into 2-3 wedges (3 for a large head of lettuce, or 2 for small/medium).
- Gently rinse each wedge of lettuce, letting the water run between the layers of lettuce to rinse them out. Drain extra water and set aside.
- Serve or store. Use the wedges right away for wedge salad, or store in a zip-top bag in the fridge with a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: wedge salad lettuce, how to cut wedge salad lettuce