Instant Pot Brown Rice – How to cook brown rice in an Instant Pot perfectly every time, plus 3 delicious ways to flavor it and keep things interesting. (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup water or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- If you haven’t already, rinse the rice in a fine-mesh sieve (this will remove excess starch and prevent your rice from being sticky). Rinse for at least 30-60 seconds, or until the water runs clear.
- Pour rinsed rice into your Instant Pot.
- Pour water over the rice, being sure to cover it.
- Add the salt and cover with the lid.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and double-check that the pressure valve is set to “SEALING” not “VENTING.”
- Press “PRESSURE COOK” button and set timer for 22 minutes. Cook rice on manual pressure for 22 minutes. (It will take 5-8 minutes to come to pressure).
- Naturally release the pressure 10 minutes.
- Quick-release any remaining steam.
- Press CANCEL to turn off the heat. Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
(Note: if your rice isn’t quite tender, add 1 Tbsp. water to the pan and seal the lid with the heat off. Let the residual heat from the pan steam the rice for 2-3 minutes more before opening the lid and checking again.)
FOR CILANTRO-LIME BROWN RICE: When the rice is finished cooking, stir in 1/4-1/2 cup minced cilantro and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime and a pinch of salt. Taste and add additional lime juice, if desired.
FOR COCONUT-GINGER BROWN RICE: Add 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger to water or broth before pouring over the rice. When the rice is finished cooking, stir in 2-3 Tbsp. of toasted coconut. (I toast coconut in a dry pan on the stovetop for 5-6 minutes, or till it’s golden)
FOR GARLIC-HERB BROWN RICE: While the rice is cooking, melt together 2 Tbsp. butter, vegan butter, or ghee in a pan over low heat. Add 1 small clove minced garlic, 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (or 1-2 tsp. freeze-dried parsley), 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes and stir to infuse the butter. Pour over cooked rice and use a fork to fluff and combine.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Brown Rice, Pressure Cooker Brown Rice, Garlic Herb Brown Rice, Coconut Ginger Brown Rice, Cilantro Lime Brown Rice