Instant Pot Charro Beans – These pressure cooker Mexican-style pinto beans are LOADED with flavor and perfect for all your Tex-Mex faves. (Gluten-Free + Easy!)
- 1 lb. dried pinto beans, sorted & rinsed
- 4 oz (about 4 slices) bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2–1 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1/2–1 canned chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (14oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Press SAUTE button and add bacon to the Instant Pot.
- Cook bacon 5-7 minutes, or until it’s starting to crisp and has rendered some of its fat.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes until partially softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, chipotle pepper, cumin, oregano, and salt. Stir and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and stir to help scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Press CANCEL to stop SAUTE mode.
- Pour in broth. Add rinsed beans, and return bacon to the Instant Pot.
- Stir to combine, then cover with lid.
- Secure lid and double-check that the pressure valve is set to SEALING (not VENTING).
- Press PRESSURE COOK and set timer to 30 minutes. (It will take about 10-12 min for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then 30 minutes to cook.)
- When the beans have finished cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release for 20-25 minutes, then quick-release remaining steam.
- Stir the beans and add cilantro and additional salt, as desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Instant Pot Charro Beans, Charro Beans, Instant Pot Pinto Beans, Instant Pot Mexican Pinto Beans, Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans, Pressure Cooker Charro Beans