This Instant Pot Coconut Rice is SO easy to make and makes a delicious side dish to all your favorite main dishes. (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Total Time Breakdown: 10-12 minutes to come to pressure + 6 minutes to cook + 10 minutes natural release + 2 minutes quick/manual release = about 30 minutes total.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2–3 tsp. sugar (optional, but will make the rice taste more coconut-y)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk**
Optional garnishes: shredded coconut or toasted coconut, minced cilantro or fresh mint, toasted almonds, red pepper flakes, etc.
- Add rice to your Instant Pot.
- Add sugar (if using), salt, and coconut milk.
- Stir just enough to tuck the rice grains into the liquid and make sure there aren’t any clumps on the bottom (don’t stir too much or you’ll make the mixture too starchy).
- Secure the lid and set to HIGH PRESSURE/MANUAL for 6 minutes.
- After the 6 minutes, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Quick-release the remaining steam
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add any desired garnishes.
- Store leftover cooled rice in the refrigerator and use within about 3 days.
**If you prefer softer rice, you can increase the liquid by 2-4 Tbsp. As written, this rice will be fully cooked and tender but hold its shape, like restaurant rice.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot coconut rice, pressure cooker coconut rice, coconut rice recipe, vegan coconut rice