Lemon Asparagus – Easy sauteed asparagus with fresh lemon. You’ll love this healthy side dish! (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 Pound Asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (can sub butter, if desired)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1–2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or, to taste)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or, to taste)
- Pinch (1/8 teaspoon) red pepper flakes
- Optional: 1 clove garlic, parmesan cheese, or fresh herbs
- TRIM YOUR ASPARAGUS. Start by trimming your asparagus stalks. Look for the place on each stalk where the green turns to white or purple. (The white/purple part is the woody end) Use a sharp knife to trim the woody end off of each stalk and discard. (You can line up several stalks at a time to make things easy!)
- CUT INTO 1-2″ PIECES. Cut the trimmed asparagus into small, bite-sized pieces. We usually cut ours in 1-2″ lengths.
- HEAT YOUR OIL & COOK THE ASPARAGUS. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cut asparagus with a pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté, stirring regularly. Cook 5-8 minutes or so, until the asparagus is vibrant green and crisp-tender. The exact amount of time will vary based on how thick your asparagus is–thicker asparagus takes longer to cook than thinner asparagus.)
- SEASON & FLAVOR. Turn off the heat and stir in a clove of garlic (if using), the red pepper flakes (if using), and 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
- GARNISH & ADJUST TO TASTE. Finish the asparagus with the fresh lemon zest, and another sprinkle of salt and pepper. Enjoy right away or store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge 2-3 days.
Roasting Or Air Frying Instructions:
- One variation I make on a regular basis is roasting or air-frying this lemon asparagus. I set my oven or air fryer to 400 degrees F and roast or air fry for 10-15 minutes, turning the asparagus halfway through the cook time for even browning. Then finish the asparagus with lemon juice, lemon zest, etc. as directed. Easy-peasy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon asparagus, easy asparagus, lemon roasted asparagus,