Magic Green Rice (Arroz Verde) – This fun take on Mexican green rice is such a favorite! Perfect for burrito bowls, beans and rice, and more! (Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 white or sweet onion, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 (4oz) can green chiles (don’t drain)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth or water, divided
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil (or butter, or another neutral oil.)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed in a fine-mesh sieve
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, cilantro, green chiles, garlic, and salt with 1/2 cup broth or water. Puree until no large pieces remain. (You should have about 1 1/2 cups of this green mixture. I recommend measuring to be sure.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add rinsed rice. Toast the rice 2-3 minutes, or until it’s starting to turn golden.
- Pour in your green mixture and the rest of the broth or water.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer and let the rice cook 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- (FYI – The rice will look kind of crazy when it’s done cooking, with a ring of green around it. Don’t worry!)
- Fluff the rice with a fork to combine any of the remaining green mixture and serve warm!
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: green rice, arroz verde, Mexican green rice, Mexican rice, magic green rice, cilantro rice