- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4c heavy cream
- 3/4c whole milk
- 6oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghiradelli 60% chips, chopped)
- 1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (to prevent lumps)
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt (less if using table salt)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, cream, and whole milk over medium heat. Whisking often, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Immediately, stir in bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder and whisk until very smooth. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water, then pour into chocolate mixture.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, almond, and salt.
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl. Let cool about 5 minutes before covering with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cooled, several hours or overnight. Mixture will be very thick.
- To freeze, transfer chilled chocolate mixture into an airtight container. Press plastic wrap onto the surface, then seal with a lid. Freeze several hours until firm enough to scoop (this should only take about 2 hours, but you can do it up to a day before serving).
- Remove from freezer 5-10 minutes before scooping. A little goes a long way!
Variations: feel free to substitute 1/2 tsp orange zest for the almond extract, or stir in a handful or two of chopped, toasted nuts (hazelnuts or almonds would be nice).