This yummy pesto spaghetti squash bake packs a TON of flavor with only four main ingredients. A winner all around! (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole30 Approved!)
- 1 (2.5-3lb.) spaghetti squash (about 6 cups cooked squash)*
- 10-12oz. cooked, cubed or shredded chicken breast (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup pesto, such as this dairy free pesto
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, sliced (enough slices to cover the top of your baking dish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
Roast Your Squash* (See notes for alternative cooking methods)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut your squash lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Drizzle or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees 35-45 minutes, or until strands are tender and easily come away from the sides (I like to wait until the edges of the squash are just starting to caramelize where it touches the pan).
- Shred the strands of spaghetti squash away from the skin and discard skin. You should have about 6 cups shredded squash.
Prepare & Assemble Your Recipe:
- Set oven to broil setting to pre-heat.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash strands to a large bowl. Add chicken and pesto and stir to combine well.
- Transfer pesto squash mixture to a 2-quart (or 8×8″) baking dish and smooth out the surface, packing it down slightly.
- Top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Optional: you can brush the tomatoes with a tiny bit of olive oil or drizzle a little over the top if you like).
- Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until tomatoes are just starting to blister. (Check regularly to prevent burning). (Alternatively, you can bake the squash at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes)
Keywords: spaghetti squash, pesto spaghetti squash, chicken spaghetti squash, pesto chicken spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash bake, paleo, gluten free, whole30, whole30 meals, low-carb