Pomodoro Sauce – This simple tomato sauce is perfect for serving with pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or your favorite proteins!
- 3–4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced (I like sweet onions)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted)
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
- In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté 5-7 minutes, or until translucent and tender.
- Add garlic, a pinch of salt & pepper, and the red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute more.
- Add crushed tomatoes and fresh basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat too low. Simmer 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- (If your sauce gets thicker than you like, add a ladleful of water, broth, or pasta cooking water to thin it back out.)
- Serve with pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or your favorite proteins!
- Category: Pasta, Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: pomodoro sauce, tomato sauce, pasta sauce, vegan, paleo, gluten free, dairy free