How to Make Homemade Microwave Popcorn + Fun Popcorn Snack Mixes to Make With It – It’s so easy to make your own microwave popcorn. Then, turn it into a fun snack mix with one of our yummy combinations!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 paper lunch bag
- 1/2 tsp. oil (if desired–it’ll make the bag a big greasy, but will help salt stick!)
- Salt or desired toppings.
- Open the paper bag and add popcorn kernels.
- Fold the top of the bag down 2-3 times to help secure it.
- Microwave on HIGH power 2-3 minutes until no more popcorn kernels are popping within 3-4 seconds.
- Carefully remove the popcorn bag from the microwave.
- Snip a small hole in a corner of the bag and shake over the trash can or a bowl to get rid of any unpopped kernels.
- Enjoy popcorn plain, add butter & salt, or use for one of our popcorn snack mixes!
CHOCOLATE BERRY: Add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and freeze-dried berries (like strawberries or raspberries). Go all out and drizzle some melted chocolate on top, if you like!
CINNAMON-SUGAR. Add a little melted butter, ghee, or melted vegan butter (or mist with spray coconut oil) and sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon sugar. Add some cinnamon apple chips for a double-dose of yum!
TRAIL MIX. Add peanuts, raisins, coconut chips, banana chips, chocolate-covered candies, or anything else you might toss in a trail mix (This post has a TON of ideas to get your wheels turning!)
CHUNKY MONKEY. Similarly, you can add peanuts, banana chips, coconut chips, and chocolate chips (or melted chocolate on top). Feel free to swap in peanut butter chips if you’re not dairy-free!
COCONUT MACADAMIA NUT. Salty macadamia nuts and coconut chips make a delicious combination. Take the tropical note a step further with dried mango or dried pineapple pieces, too!
CRANBERRY ALMOND. Add dried cranberries, almonds, and a little chocolate (or white chocolate!).
CHOCOLATE DRIZZLED. Keep things simple by drizzling a little melted chocolate on top with a pinch of flaky sea salt. I melt 1 1/2 Tbsp. chocolate chips + 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, then drizzle that over the popcorn. Feel free to refrigerate for a few minutes to set quickly!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Microwave Popcorn, Homemade Popcorn, Popcorn Snack Mixes