I love making this easy pumpkin chili the day before I need it. It tastes even better the next day! Don’t miss the notes section for tips on adapting this for vegan or paleo diets. (It’s SO EASY!)
For The Pumpkin Chili:
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 lb. ground beef*
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional, for more heat: 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika, 1/4-1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, not drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, not drained
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, not drained (I like fire-roasted)
- chopped cilantro, sliced green onions or snipped chives, sliced jalapeno, diced avocado, sour cream, yogurt, cheddar cheese, or dairy-free cheese, as desired.
- Brown The Meat. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, brown ground beef over medium heat with pepper, onion, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add Chili Seasonings. As the meat and veggies are cooking, sprinkle over chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion, powder, smoked paprika an/or chipotle chili powder (if using), and salt.
- Add Pumpkin, Beans & Tomatoes. When the meat is cooked through and the veggies are tender (10-15 minutes), add pumpkin puree, undrained beans, and the tomatoes with their juice to the pan.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until ready to eat.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, cheese or dairy-free cheese, as desired!
- Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3-4 days, or freeze up to 2 months. (I love to make this chili in advance–it tastes even better the next day!)
FOR A PALEO VERSION, skip the beans and add an extra bell pepper and another 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Soup, Chili
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Chili, gluten free pumpkin chili, best pumpkin chili, dairy free pumpkin chili, pumpkin chili recipe