I love making chili the day before I need it. It gets better with time! Don’t miss the notes section for tips on adapting this for vegan or paleo diets. (It’s SO EASY!)
- 1 lb. ground beef*
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1 (15oz) can pinto beans, not drained
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, not drained
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes, not drained (I like fire-roasted)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- In a large soup pot, brown ground beef with pepper, onion, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- As the meat and veggies are cooking, sprinkle over chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion, powder, and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the meat is cooked through and the veggies are tender (10-15 minutes), add pumpkin puree, undrained beans, and the tomatoes with their juice to the pan.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until ready to eat.
FOR A PALEO VERSION, skip the beans and add an extra bell pepper and another 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey.
FOR A VEGAN VERSION, skip the meat and add another can of your favorite beans (kidney beans or another can of black beans are my two favorite choices).
- Category: Main Dish, Soup, Chili
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Chili, gluten free pumpkin chili, best pumpkin chili, dairy free pumpkin chili,