To store, press plastic wrap onto the surface and store in the refrigerator. Sauce will keep about 3 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 small onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed, cored, and quartered
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and cut in about 8 pieces
- 1 (4oz) green chiles (don’t drain)
- 1 avocado
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4–1/2c cilantro
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream*
- olive oil
- Turn on the broiler.
- Toss onion, tomatillo, and jalapeno with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Broil until tender and slightly charred. (I had my oven rack in the center of my oven since I was entertaining Sophie while I worked and I didn’t want to burn anything. I cooked mine about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes).
- Place onion mixture in a food processor or blender. Add green chiles and blend until fairly smooth. Add avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and Greek yogurt and blend until quite smooth. Taste and add more salt as desired.
- *If using as a dressing, thin out with a little milk to achieve a pourable consistency.
*Dairy free notes: this dip will still be silky and delicious without the yogurt or sour cream. No worries!