- 1c butter, softened
- 1/2c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3c hazelnuts
- 2 3/4c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2–3/4c raspberry jam
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
- Pulse hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground. (If you don’t have a food processor, mince the nuts as finely as you can). Add flour, nuts, baking powder, and salt to the creamed mixture and stir until the dough comes together. (Mine was very crumbly and dry) Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 1 hour, up to a day.
- When ready to bake the cookies, unwrap dough and place on a floured countertop for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s a bit more flexible. Roll dough out to about 1/4″ thickness. Cut desired shape out of the dough and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. If you’d like a window in the cookies, cut a smaller shape out of the middle of half of the cookies. (This is easier on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees about 8-10 minutes, or till pale golden. (You may need more or less time depending on the size of your cookies).
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. If desired, sprinkle the window cookies (the ones with cutouts) with powdered sugar. Spread the solid cookies with jam and top with a window cookie.