- 1 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 apple, grated (you can leave the skin, just remove the seeds)
- 1/2c apple cider vinegar
- 1/2c water
- 1/2c sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch cloves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- *for sweeter version: 4 Tbsp butter
- Add cabbage, apple, vinegar, water, sugar, pepper, and cloves to a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook about 30 minutes or until tender, but still with a small bite. Drain liquid. Add in fresh lemon juice.
- *If making sweeter version: brown butter in a small saucepan by cooking it over medium-low heat until foamy and golden. Remove from heat and stir into cooked cabbage mixture with the lemon juice.