- 4–6 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa verde (see notes for a homemade version)
- 2 cups spinach (can also use kale or super greens)
- 1–1/2 cups cooked rice (can sub brown rice or quinoa)
- 1 (14oz) can great northern beans, drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4–1/2 cup cilantro, minced
For optional seasoned tortilla strips:
- 6 corn tortillas
- olive oil
- optional: 1 tsp taco seasoning or 1/4 tsp each cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and chipotle chili powder
- Place all ingredients except cilantro in a large soup pot and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer 10-15 minutes, or until greens are wilted and soup is cooked through. Add cilantro just before serving.
To make tortilla strips:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush one side of the tortillas with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and taco seasoning/spices (if using). Slice into thin strips and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 10-20 minutes, or until crispy. Enjoy!
For a simple homemade salsa verde (this makes just as much as you need):
2 (15oz) cans tomatillos, drained
2 cloves garlic
1/2-1 cup cilantro
hefty pinch salt
Directions: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.