Easy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet – This easy one pan dinner is done in a flash. Try the original or one of our flavor variations for even more ideas! (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 2–3 Tbsp. butter or olive oil (divided)
- 12 oz. kielbasa, sliced*
- 1/2–1 red or white onion, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or chopped (6–8 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2–1 tsp. Cajun seasoning (I like 1 tsp. for some zing! Start with 1/2 tsp. for more mild)
- 2–3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1–2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- Hot sauce, for serving, if desired.
- In a Dutch oven or very large (12-14″) skillet with high sides, melt 2 Tbsp. of butter/olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced sausage and cook 6-8 minutes, or until the sausage is browned and caramelized to your taste.
- Remove the browned sausage from the pan and set aside on a clean plate.
- If needed, add 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil to the pan and add the onion.
- Cook the onion 5-7 minutes, or until softened and just starting to color.
- Add cabbage, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning (you’ll need to work in batches every few minutes if using a skillet).
- Cook 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly to soften the cabbage to your liking. I like to still have a small amount of bite (like al dente paste) so it’s not mushy.
- Remove from the heat and add fresh herbs, and 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar.
- Stir to coat, then taste and add additional vinegar, herbs, or Cajun seasoning, as desired.
- Serve as-is or add a shake or two of your favorite hot sauce, to serve.
VARIATIONS: You can try this with turkey, beef, or pork kielbasa, or use any fully cooked, sliced sausage (like Aidell’s chicken sausages or Andouille sausage)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage cabbage skillet, sausage and cabbage, sausage & cabbage