Sausage Orzo Soup – This Sausage Vegetable Orzo Soup is loaded with gorgeous Italian-inspired flavors and tender pasta. It’s perfect for a cozy day! (Gluten-Free Friendly)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. pork, turkey, or chicken Italian sausage (casings removed, if applicable)
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. salt (optional–salt to taste)
- 2 (14.5oz) cans crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (can use diced)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I prefer low-sodium)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (gluten-free or grain-free, as needed)
- 2–3 cups spinach, torn or roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook until browned and completely cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove cooked sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and bell peppers and cook 6-8 minutes, or until veggies are mostly tender. (A little bit is okay, as they’ll continue cooking later.)
- Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes to the pot. Return the cooked sausage to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in veggie broth and stir to combine the soup.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 20-30 minutes, or until the flavors have blended and the veggies are tender.
- While the soup is cooking, cook your orzo according to the package directions. (Don’t forget to salt the water as directed, as it will help your pasta taste its best.)
- When the soup is done simmering, add spinach, cooked orzo, and fresh basil to the soup pot. Stir until spinach is wilted. Serve warm!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Orzo Soup, Sausage Vegetable Orzo Soup, Italian Orzo Soup, Sausage Veggie Soup, Gluten Free Sausage Orzo Soup,