Feel free to skip the squash, substitute mushrooms, or leave them out. You can also add cooked sausage or diced zucchini or even bell peppers!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 smal onion, diced
- 2 cups rice, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (bonus points for homemade)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups diced, roasted squash (or other cooked veggies of choice)
- 1 cup minced spinach (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds (or smoked almonds)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add celery and onion and cook over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes, to slightly toast the rice (it will probably not color). Pour in broth, along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and let cook another 15 minutes or so, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Fluff rice with a fork and fold in cooked squash and spinach. Garnish with almonds just before serving.