For the noodles:
- 8oz udon noodles (or brown rice pasta, if gluten free)
- 3 medium carrots, shredded or shaved
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced (I used 1/2 yellow, 1/2 red)
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, minced
For the sauce:
- 1/4c soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 3–4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2–2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Asian chile sauce, or pinch red pepper flakes (plus more, to taste)
- Make sauce by combining soy sauce, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, rice vinegar, water, 1 1/2Tbsp sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and chile sauce or red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved and sauce is well combined. Taste and add additional sugar, sesame oil, or chile sauce to taste. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, add carrots and bell pepper to the water and cook 1 minute more. Drain pasta and vegetables. Toss cooked pasta and vegetables with green onion, cilantro, and enough dressing to coat the pasta (you’ll likely have a little leftover).
- Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.