Settlers Beans – This recipe uses a flavorful base and a secret sauce to make them the BEST baked beans ever! (Gluten free, dairy free)
- 8 oz. bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, grated or diced,*
- 1 (14.5oz) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5oz) can Great Northern or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard (or 1/2 Tbsp dry mustard powder)
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce*
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven or other oven-proof pot, cook your bacon over medium heat until crispy and browned. Remove cooked bacon and set aside.
- Drain all but about 2 Tbsp fat from the pan.
- Add onion to the Dutch oven and sauté 4-5 minutes over medium heat, or until onion is slightly softened.
- Add kidney beans, butter beans, and Great Northern beans to the pan.
- Add brown sugar, ketchup, barbecue sauce, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.
- Return bacon to the pan and stir until the whole mixture is well combined. Taste and play with the amounts of sauce ingredients as desired. (Too tangy? Add more sugar. Needs more zip? Add more pepper, etc.)
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- (Note: If you don’t have an oven-proof pot, you can pour it into a casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake it in the oven as directed)
*I love grating or even pureeing our onion because it just melts into the beans (which my kids prefer). That said, it’s awesome with diced onion. You do you!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American, Southern
Keywords: baked beans, settlers beans, homemade baked beans