If you’re cooking for kids or are sensitive to spices, start small (1/4 tsp) with the chili flakes. If you like things spicier, feel free to keep adding till it gets where you like it! I usually prefer it best between 1/2-3/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
- 1 (28oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or chili oil
- 1/4–1 tsp red chili flakes (sometimes called crushed red pepper)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- Optional: fresh basil
- Place tomatoes, garlic, oil, 1/4 tsp chili flakes, salt, and oregano in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Or, place omatoes, garlic, oil, 1/4 tsp chili flakes, salt, and oregano in a saucepan and puree using an immersion blender.
- When sauce is smooth, bring to a simmer over medium heat until heated through and fragrant. Taste and add more chili flakes, as desired. If desired, add some minced fresh basil for garnish and little extra flavor before serving.