Classic Vegetable Minestrone is so easy and healthy! Packed with vegetables and finished with a little pasta, it’s a hit with grown-ups and kids alike! (Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 2 cups (oz) dry pasta – use small shapes, such as rotini, macaroni, ditalini, or shells (gluten free, as needed)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2–3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14oz) can white beans (such as Great Northern or Cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 (14oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes (regular are also fine)
- 5–6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons or minced
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups spinach, torn or sliced if desired
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, make your soup.
- To make the soup, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté over medium heat 5-7 minutes, or until veggies are partially softened.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and a bit of salt and pepper (as desired). Stir to coat the veggies.
- Add red and white beans, tomatoes, broth, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a bubble and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, and simmer about 5 minutes longer, or until just softened.
- Stir in spinach and cooked pasta. Stir to wilt the spinach.
- Taste and add additional salt & pepper as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes