This Crock pot mashed potatoes recipes is the EASIEST way to make this classic side dish!
For The Mashed Potatoes:
- 5 lbs. potatoes (Yukon gold or red potatoes work best), peeled if desired
- 1 1/2 cups water, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–1 1/2 cups milk or cream (unsweetened dairy-free milk works fine!)
- 2–4 Tablespoons butter*
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Optional Toppings Or Mix-Ins:
- 2–3 cloves garlic, snipped chives, Parmesan or cheddar cheese, bacon bits/crumbled cooked bacon
- Peel & Prep Your Potatoes. Start by washing and peeling the potatoes, as desired. (If you prefer to leave some or all of the peels on, that’s fine!) Cut the potatoes into chunks. (1-inch chunks or 2-inch chunks work best)
- Get Ready To Cook. Add the potato chunks to the slow cooker along with the water or broth, 4 Tablespoons of butter, and salt.
- Cook The Potatoes on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours, or until tender. A fork should easily pierce through the potatoes. (This is called “fork-tender”)
- Add The Other Goodies. Pour in the milk and add the remaining butter. (No need to drain the potatoes.)
- Mash The Potatoes. Mash potatoes with a potato masher, potato ricer, or a hand mixer, adding more milk or butter as desired until you reach your desired consistency. (If using a hand mixer, try not to over-mix the potatoes or they can get gluey and overly starchy)
- Taste & Season the potatoes, adding salt or pepper to taste, and adding more milk or butter as needed for your desired consistency. Garnish, as desired, and serve warm!
- Keep Them Warm. Slow cooker mashed potatoes can be kept covered on the WARM setting for up to 2 hours. Reheat leftover mashed potatoes with an extra splash of milk to revive them.
If you don’t eat butter, you can use 1/4 cup olive oil, then use additional milk (dairy-free milk, if needed) or broth for the rest of the liquid. We’ve done this in our Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes loads of times. Vegan butter (like Earth Balance) also works! If dairy’s not a problem, you can also use sour cream, cream cheese, or plain Greek yogurt in place of all or part of the butter.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker mashed potatoes, crock pot mashed potatoes, crockpot mashed potatoes, slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe