This cozy soup warms you from the inside out. There are lots of variations for paleo and vegan eaters and quinoa haters. See the notes for more ideas!
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (6–8 cups)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 14oz full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce or chili oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (or, to taste)
- 1lb. chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (or rice, or you can leave it out)
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, diced (fresh or jarred)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the cubed squash, onion, coconut milk, broth, curry paste, sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt into the slow cooker. Stir to combine (this won’t be perfect since the curry paste will dissolve as it heats up, but give it a good start). Add chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the squash and broth mixture until very smooth. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, let the soup cool a bit and, working in batches, puree in a food processor or blender).
- Stir in shredded chicken, quinoa, diced bell peppers, and cilantro.
- Squeeze in the lime juice or cut the lime into 6 wedges and let everyone squeeze over their own.