- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pinch cumin
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1c brown or green lentils (not red)
- 4c vegetable or chicken broth*
- 3c water
- 1 (14.5oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4c cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Heat oil over medium heat, then add onion and celery. Cook, over medium heat about 5-6 minutes, or until veggies are beginning to soften. Add garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, pinch of cumin, and a little salt and pepper and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juices, lentils, broth, and water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat, stir in half of the black beans, and cool about 10 minutes.
- Transfer about half of the soup to a blender or food processor. Pulse until combined but not completely smooth. Pour mixture back into the soup pot. Stir in remaining black beans, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
*Gluten free notes: Be sure to check that your broth is gluten free. I like Pacific Naturals brand.