Southwest Sweet Potato Hash with a warm blend of spices + colorful veggies. A delicious, healthy breakfast any day of the week! (Paleo, Whole30 + Vegan)
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, diced in 1/2″ pieces.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/2″ pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, diced into 1/2″ pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1–2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro or parsley (optional)
- Place the sweet potatoes into a saucepan and cover them with water. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Boil the sweet potatoes 3-4 minutes to soften slightly.
- Meanwhile, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a large pan (12″ works best!), and add bell peppers, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Cook veggies 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- When the sweet potatoes are done boiling, drain them and add to the pan with the peppers and onions.
- Add the remaining Tbsp. of olive oil and cook the veggies 8-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring every 1-2 minutes or so, to allow the veggies to char a bit.
- Turn off the heat and add spinach and herbs. Stir 1-2 minutes, to allow the residual heat to wilt the spinach.
- Serve with your breakfast faves–avocado, eggs, bacon, sausage, avocado, etc. Whatever sounds good!
TRY IT ON A SHEET PAN INSTEAD. If a sheet pan feels more your speed, it can be a great way to transform this recipe to a more hands-off approach. For sheet pan sweet potato hash, toss the sweet potatoes, veggies, and spice blend with the olive oil in a large bowl, then spread the mixture out on a baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Stir, then cook another 15-20 minutes or till your sweet potatoes are golden. Remove from the oven and stir in your spinach and fresh herbs to finish!
EXTRAS + VARIATIONS:
- ADD SAUSAGE. Add 8 oz. uncooked bulk sausage to the pan and cook completely before cooking the veggies. Remove to a plate, then add the bell peppers and onions, as directed. Or, cook 8 oz. sliced pre-cooked chicken sausage or kielbasa before cooking the veggies. Return cooked sausage to the pan right before serving.
- ADD BACON. Or, crisp 6-8 oz. of bacon in your pan before cooking the veggies. Crumble and set aside. Drain the fat from the pan and cook the veggies, as directed. Return the bacon to the pan right before serving.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet Potato Hash, Paleo sweet potato hash, vegan sweet potato hash, whole30 sweet potato hash, gluten-free sweet potato hash, healthy sweet potato hash