I prefer baking to boiling or steaming for this recipe. The caramel-y bits that roasting add are my favorite! Simply wash, poke a few holes, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, or till a knife can easily poke through.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (I prefer baked sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/4 cup milk of choice (I use a combination of almond and coconut milks)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil, butter, or ghee, melted
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour (like Bob’s Red Mill)
- **You can make this recipe in a food processor or mixer, if you prefer**
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed sweet potato, milk, vinegar, oil/butter, syrup, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until very smooth. Sift in cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and flour blend. Stir to combine and be sure there are no large lumps. Batter will be fairly thick.
- Grease or spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Scoop 1/3-1/2 cup of batter into the center of your waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Repeat with remaining batter.