This is my favorite method for making basic guacamole, plus TONS of ideas for mixing things up. Try mixing and matching add-ins to make your own flavor combination! (Gluten free, vegan, paleo)
- 2 ripe avocados, pits and skins removed (I use medium avocados)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (1–2 Tbsp)
- 1–2 Tbsp minced chives, red onion, or white onion*
- 2–3 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or more, to taste)
- 2–4 Tbsp of your favorite add-ins. See the notes for some ideas!
- On a plate, mash avocados until no large lumps remain.
- Squeeze lemon and lime juice over mashed avocado.
- Sprinkle onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, and any desired add-ins. (Reserve a small amount of the add-ins to add on top of the finished guacamole as garnish)
- Stir to coat and combine well. Garnish with additional cilantro or a little bit of your add-ins.
- Serve immediately, or cover well and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Guacamole will last 2-4 days in the refrigerator. (Some browning may occur.)
*Let’s talk onions: Use chives for mild onion flavor (great for kids!). Use red or white onion for more pronounced flavor or color.
GUACAMOLE MIX-IN IDEAS:
Choose 2-4 Tbsp of 1-2 different add-ins to create your own delicious guacamole combinations.
- SAVORY: Minced jalapeño, diced green chiles, diced tomato or tomatillo, diced jicama, crispy crumbled bacon, grilled corn, sun-dried tomatoes, cotija cheese, minced garlic
- SWEET: Fresh pineapple, peaches, strawberries, mango, blueberries, nectarines, pomegranate seeds, cherries
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Dip
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex, Southwestern, Mexican
Keywords: how to make guacamole, basic guacamole, homemade guacamole, guacamole recipe, guacamole, guac