Vegan Black Beans Tostadas with Mango Salsa – This family friendly vegetarian dinner is done in 20 minutes or less. Such a fun twist on taco night! (Gluten free)
For the Tostadas:
- 12 Tostada shells (store-bought, or homemade)
- 2 cans Refried black beans (3–4 cups)
- Lime Cilantro Slaw (recipe below)
- Mango Salsa (recipe below)
- Guacamole (recipe below)
- Your favorite taco toppings–diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, etc.
For Lime Cilantro Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 1/2 Tbsp honey or agave (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (more or less, to taste)
For the Mango Salsa:
- 2 cups diced fresh mango (I like yellow/Atulfo mangos)
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1–2 Tbsp finely minced jalapeño*
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1/8–1/4 tsp salt, to taste
For Quick Guacamole:
- 2 avocados, peeled and pits removed
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
First, Make the Lime Cilantro Slaw:
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the other components of your meal.
Next, Make The Mango Salsa:
- In a medium bowl, stir together mango, red onion, cilantro, 1 Tbsp jalapeño, lime juice, and salt.
- Stir to combine well.
- Assemble your tostadas.
Make the Quick Guacamole:
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper until you’ve reached your desired smoothness.
To Assemble Your Tostadas:
- Heat your refried black beans on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
- Let everyone build their own tostadas, spreading black beans on the tostada shells and layering with toppings.
- Layer with guacamole, lime cilantro slaw, fresh mango salsa, and any other desired taco toppings.
*It’s nearly impossible to tell how spicy a jalapeño will be from the outside. I recommend starting small in your salsa, as you can always add more! If you don’t like jalapeños, or want a mild version, omit jalapeño and add 1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder to your salsa instead.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Vegetarian,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex, Southwestern, American
Keywords: tostadas, vegan tostadas, black bean tostadas, mango salsa, refried black beans, vegetarian tostadas,