This dairy free hot chocolate makes the coziest cup of cocoa! It’s vegan as is, but for paleo and non-vegan friends, try adding a little bit of collagen for added protein. It’s the best-tasting “protein drink” you’ll ever have!
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or 3oz chocolate)
- 1/3–1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder, 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp. vanilla extract (see instructions below)
- Place chocolate chips, coconut sugar, and cocoa powder into a blender or food processor.
- If using vanilla powder, add to the blender. (Or, scrape out the seeds of 1 vanilla bean or add 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the blender)
- Puree until mixture is a fine powder. Store dry mix in an airtight container or jar up to 1 month at room temperature or 2 months in the refrigerator.
To prepare a serving:
- For a single serving, combine 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons dry mix with 8-10oz milk (I prefer cashew or almond). If using vanilla extract, add 2-3 drops per serving.
- Heat on the stovetop in a saucepan or in a mug in the microwave until heated through. Stir or whisk until chocolate is completely melted and combined.
- Top with marshmallows, coconut whipped cream, or grated chocolate!
- Category: Drinks, Beverages, Dessert
- Method: Stovetop, Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan hot chocolate, vegan hot cocoa, vegan hot chocolate mix, paleo hot chocolate, paleo hot chocolate mix, dairy free hot chocolate