This easy cashew queso is SO creamy, cheesy, and delicious, all without dairy! You’ll love it with chips, nachos, and more!
For The Cashew Queso:
- 1 cup (about 5 oz.) raw cashews
- 1/3 cup salsa verde (green salsa) – I like mild or medium*
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more, or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
- Pickled jalapeño slices, or fresh jalapeño slices
- Chopped tomato (seed it first, so it doesn’t water down the queso)
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooked, crumbled chorizo (regular or vegan, depending on your dietary needs)
Soak The Cashews In Advance:
- Overnight (Best Method). Add the cashews to an airtight container and cover with warm water. Cover the container and refrigeratate them 2-3 hours, or overnight. (Overnight is best when you have time!)
- Quick Method. If you don’t have time, use a heatproof bowl or container and cover the cashews with boiling water or very hot water and let them soak 10-15 minutes.
Next, Make The Cashew Queso:
- Add Ingredients To The Blender. Drain the soaked cashews (discard the soaking liquid) and add them to the blender. Add 1/3 cup salsa along with the nutritional yeast, salt, cumin, and turmeric. Then, drizzle the hot water over the other ingredients
- Blend Until Smooth. Next, blend the cashew queso for 1-2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds or so to scrape down the edges as needed. Note: if you’re not using a high-powered blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, this may take you longer. Just keep at it and take breaks as needed so you don’t overheat the blender.
- Finish The Queso. Pour the smooth cashew queso into a bowl or container and stir in another 2-3 Tablespoons of salsa. Taste and add additional salt, cumin, or salsa, to taste.
- Garnish & Enjoy. When you’re ready to serve, garnish the queso dip with extras like chopped seeded tomato, fresh cilantro, jalapeño slices, or cooked crumbled chorizo (vegan as needed). Serve with your favorite chips, or serve with tacos, nachos, burritos, burrito bowls, and more. Store leftovers in the refrigerator 3-4 days.
*You can also warm the salsa up in the microwave to get this queso dip even warmer.
How To Reheat Cashew Queso. I almost never do to be perfectly honest, as I love this dip warm or cold. Cashew queso thickens in the refrigerator, so the best way to warm it up is to let it warm up at room temperature for 20-30 minutes, then add a few tablespoons of piping hot water to thin it out and warm it up again. Or, microwave or heat on the stovetop on medium-low heat gently. (Don’t boil or simmer!)
Season. If you’re using a flavorful salsa, you shouldn’t need extra spices, but if you prefer to add some extra seasonings, feel free to experiment by adding a little garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, or smoked paprika. Start small and add more according to your taste!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: vegan queso recipe, vegan queso dip recipe, cashew queso recipe, cashew queso dip, dairy free queso,