These refreshing strawberry mint julep mocktails are perfect for Derby day or a sunny summer barbecue!
FOR THE SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar or agave
- 1 bunch mint leaves (about 1 cup fresh mint)
FOR EACH STRAWBERRY MINT JULEP:
- 3–4 mint leaves
- 1–2 strawberries
- 1–2 Tbsp. mint simple syrup
- about 3/4–1 cup crushed ice
- 1/4 cup limeade or lemonade
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- Optional garnishes: more fresh mint leaves, strawberries, lemon or lime slices/wedges
FIRST, MAKE THE SIMPLE SYRUP:
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar (or agave).
- Stir over medium heat, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and add the fresh mint leaves.
- Allow the mint to steep in the simple syrup about 15 minutes (set a timer so you don’t forget!)
- Strain out the mint and transfer the mint simple syrup to a jar or container.
- Chill syrup in the refrigerator until completely cool. Mint simple syrup will keep 1 week in the refrigerator.
- (You’ll have about 12 oz. mint simple syrup)
TO MAKE A VIRGIN STRAWBERRY MINT JULEP:
- Add strawberries and simple syrup to the bottom of your cup.
- Muddle the strawberries in the simple syrup until mostly smooth. (A few larger pieces are fine, but the finer you can mash them, the easier they’ll be to drink.)
- Add mint leaves to your cup and muddle just 3-4 times to release the essential oils. (It should smell fresh and fragrant)
- Fill the cup about 3/4 full with crushed ice.
- Add limeade and sparkling water to your cup.
- Use a straw or drink stirrer to mix the julep for a few seconds, until the glass starts to get frosty.
- Garnish with strawberries, lemon or lime slices, and lots of fresh mint!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry mint julep, virgin mint julep, mint julep mocktail, virgin strawberry mint julep, non-alcoholic mint julep, strawberry mint julep mocktail, non-alcoholic strawberry mint julep, disneyland mint julep, disneyland mint julep copycat