This is my fail-proof method for baking the perfect sweet potato + 6 delicious ways to top them. See the notes for my suggestions (and a list of even more ideas to get you wheels turning!)
- Sweet potatoes (however many you’d like to bake)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash all potatoes and prick with a fork or a knife several times each (6-8 times at least).
- Rub each potato with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- To prevent spills, I like to put my potatoes on a baking sheet. You can skip this step and put them directly on the rack if you like.
- Bake 45-60 minutes, or until you can pierce them easily with a knife.
- Make a slit lengthwise end-to-end across the top and fluff the inside with a fork before stuffing with your favorite toppings.
How to top them…
1. California Breakfast: Try stuffing them with scrambled (or poached or fried) eggs, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, and fresh herbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (You can also try mixing in sautéed papers and onions, a dollop of salsa, sausage, and more!)
2. Chili + Avocado Ranch: Try scooping chili (vegan, paleo, Whole30, whatever you please) on top and finish with a dollop of avocado ranch, fresh herbs, and more. (Add cheese, sour cream, and more if you like.)
3. Caramelized Hawaiian Ham & Pineapple: Dice 8oz ham and about 1 cup of fresh pineapple. Melt 1 Tbsp butter/olive oil/ghee in a saucepan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut or brown sugar, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, gluten free tamari or coconut aminos, and 3-4 Tbsp pineapple or orange juice. As son as it comes to a bubble, add the ham and pineapple. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until it’s caramelized and the sauce has been reduced.
4. Black Beans + Chipotle: Top with black beans, avocado, tomatoes or roasted peppers, and chipotle ranch. (Whatever your favorite taco toppings are!)
5. Buffalo Chicken: Combine 1 cup chicken with 3-4 Tbsp Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Drizzle with ranch dressing (I like this paleo/vegan version), and chives.
6. BBQ Pork: Combine 1 cup pulled pork, chicken, or beef with 3-4 Tbsp of your favorite barbecue sauce. Add more sauce as desired, and top with jalapeños, peperoncinis, fresh cilantro, or chives.
Sloppy Joe Filling
Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas
Sautéed Apples (in cinnamon and butter/ghee/vegan butter)
Italian sausage with peppers and onions