6 Amazing Ways to Stuff a Baked Sweet Potato – My fail-proof method for the perfect baked sweet potato, plus SO MANY ideas for how to stuff them. Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and Whole30 versions below!
I’m SUCH a big fan of using one method to create a lot of variety. I don’t feel like cooking needs to be fussy to be delicious. Sure, I love making a fancy meal for special occasions, or putting some extra effort into recipes here or there, but most of my day-to-day cooking is pretty straight-forward. I feel like mastering a few methods opens the door to dozens of variations.
Take these baked sweet potatoes for instance. We’ve capitalized on all the goodness of a well-baked sweet potato (crispy skin, soft interior) and created a pretty endless supply of meal choices.
Here’s the method I use for baked sweet potatoes (with the perfect texture!), plus 6 different ways to stuff them (and even MORE ideas at the end).
How To Make Perfect Baked Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash all potatoes and prick with a fork or a knife several times each (6-8 times at least).
- Rub each potato with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- To prevent spills, I like to put my potatoes on a baking sheet. You can skip this step and put them directly on the rack if you like.
- Bake 45-60 minutes, or until you can pierce them easily with a knife.
- Make a slit lengthwise end-to-end across the top and fluff the inside with a fork before stuffing with your favorite toppings.
Now that you know how to make tender, delicious baked sweet potatoes, it’s time to stuff them! Here are 6 of our favorite ways to make stuffed baked sweet potatoes…
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato
Spicy without being too heavy, these are a fun combination of spicy and creamy.
- Toss chicken with Frank’s Red Hot sauce, then drizzle with ranch (I like this paleo or vegan version), and fresh chives.
Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potato
Here, I take a breakfast approach by adding all my breakfast faves–some crispy smoky bacon, scrambled (or poached/fried) eggs, a little creamy avocado, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Breakfast (or breakfast for dinner!) is served!
- Scrambled Eggs
- Diced Avocado
- Baby Tomatoes
- Fresh Herbs (cilantro, dill, or chives are nice)
Psst! Get more Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potato Ideas!
Get more ideas for making breakfast stuffed sweet potatoes in this in-depth post. I’ll walk you through ALL the best savory breakfast fillings to try!
Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato
This is nothing new since chili is pretty much the most classic baked potato topping other than butter, cheese, and sour cream. Use any kind of chili you like here. Keep it meatless with a vegetarian chili (like our yummy pumpkin chili) or make it meaty with classic or sweet potato chili (it’s like sweet potato inception!).
Feel free to top that chili with your faves–sour cream or cheese are popular, or go dairy free with a dollop of our avocado ranch. It’s AMAZING.
Black Bean & Chipotle Stuffed Sweet Potato
One of my favorites! This veggie-friendly stuffed sweet potato channels Tex-Mex or Mexican inspired flavors. It’s Such an inexpensive and easy meatless dinner. Use your favorite taco toppings to build an amaaaaazing potato.
- Black Beans (Or, try our Charro Beans!)
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Fresh Cilantro
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
More Ideas For Topping Your Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
Caramelized Hawaiian Ham & Pineapple
These are such a fun and different combination, inspired by a version Tyler Florence made. It’s the perfect blend of flavors–sweet, savory, salty, tangy, umami. So much going on and it’s so easy!
- Dice 8oz ham and 1 cup fresh pineapple
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter/ghee/olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar), 2 Tbsp soy sauce, gluten free tamari, or coconut aminos, and 1/4 cup pineapple or orange juice.
- When the sauce is bubbling, add the ham and pineapple and cook while the sauce reduces and the ham and pineapple caramelize, about 5-7 minutes.
- Scoop into potatoes and feel free to garnish with cilantro or chives!
BBQ Pork Stuffed Sweet Potato
Smoky, a little sweet… these are brilliant. Feel free to use pulled pork, chicken, or beef and use your favorite barbecue sauce. I personally LOVE the “Sticky Sweet” Stubb’s sauce with pork, but use what you have/like!
- Pulled Pork (or Beef or Chicken!)
- Barbecue Sauce (Get our favorite healthier BBQ sauces in this post!)
- Finely minced red onions or chives
Try Our BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
If you love the flavor of BBQ and sweet potatoes together, you’ll love these easy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. (The chicken is made in the slow cooker!)
Even More Ways To Stuff Baked Sweet Potatoes:
- Go sweet with some sauteed cinnamon apples, toasted pecans, or Whipped Cinnamon Honey Butter
- Use beef carnitas, or cuban pork
- Peperoncini Beef
- Italian sausage wth onions and peppers
- Sloppy Joe filling