- 3c flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/4c buttermilk
- 1 eggs
- 1 1/2c blueberries (don’t thaw if using frozen)
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and combine with a pastry blender or two forks until very crumbly. The pieces should be no larger than peas. (Alternately, you can combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the pieces are no larger than peas.)
- *If desired, you can prepare the dough up to this point and refrigerate up to 1 day until ready to continue.
- Combine egg and buttermilk and pour into dry mixture. Add blueberries, and gently stir with a fork until just combined. Flour the countertop and turn dough onto the counter.
- Pat out to a square, about 3/4″ in thickness. Being careful not to slice all the way through, slice large square into 16 smaller squares, keeping the dough in one large piece. Carefully transfer scored biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (this is easier with a spatula or a bench scraper).
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until tops are just golden.
Variation: add 1 tsp lemon or orange zest into the batter with the sugar, etc.