This gorgeous browned butter squash recipe is the PERFECT side dish–savory, sweet, and gorgeously caramelized all over! (Gluten Free)
- 1 3/4 lbs. Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Continue cooking, stirring regularly, until butter has browned and smells nutty/caramel-y, about 4 minutes
- Carefully add squash cubes to the pan (careful of splatters!) and stir to coat with the browned butter. Saute squash over medium 10-12 minutes, until the squash is starting to brown, and soften.
- Add brown sugar (if using) and 1/2 cup water and cook an additional 10-12 minutes, or until water has cooked off and the squash is caramelized and tender.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Squash can be peeled, seeded, and diced a day ahead of time for easier preparation on the day you plan on cooking it. Dice and store in an airtight container or plastic zip-top bag in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Category: Side Dish, Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Butternut Squash, Butternut squash side dish, browned butter squash, browned butter butternut squash, butternut squash recipe