Caramelized Browned Butter Butternut Squash – This gorgeous browned butter squash recipe is the PERFECT veggie side dish–savory, sweet, and gorgeously caramelized all over! (Gluten Free)
This is the squash that saved me during Milo’s pregnancy.
I was so (SO!!!!) sick during that pregnancy (partially because getting pregnant triggered gluten intolerance that was written off as morning sickness). Besides cereal and fruit, (and a few weeks where this was the only thing I could eat for lunch), this amazing caramelized brown butter butternut squash was one of the only things that sounded good.
This sautéed butternut squash was heaven in my mouth! Every little caramelized gem I popped in my mouth tasted better than the last, and I ended up eating a giant bowl for dinner a few nights in a row.
Long after the morning sickness passed, I was still eating and enjoying this delicious browned butter butternut squash. It’s PERFECTION. (And it’s completely easy to put together!) Here’s all you need to get started…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO BROWN BUTTER BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
The ingredients in this sauteed butternut squash recipe are simple and straightforward! All you’ll need is…
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH. Feel free to get pre-cut if it simplifies your life! (I love doing this when it goes on sale.) Otherwise, it’s easy to cut! I use this tutorial with a peeler, and a good sharp knife for cutting cubes.
- BROWNED BUTTER. You’ll start with plain old butter, but in about 4 minutes, you’ll have turned it into the magic that is browned butter. It tastes sweet and caramel-y, with nutty notes that are beautiful with butternut squash + about a million other things. (If you haven’t fallen for browned butter yet, consider this the perfect gateway. Before you know it, you’ll be making brownies, chocolate chip cookies, iced oatmeal cookies, and more.)
- A LITTLE BROWN SUGAR OR SYRUP (Optional). For some added sweetness and some pretty caramelization, I like adding a little brown sugar or pure maple syrup to my browned butter butternut squash. It really ties everything together and highlights the natural sweetness of the squash.
- SALT & PEPPER. To round things out, I add a generous pinch or two of salt and a little bit of pepper. I love how the sweet + salty flavors play off of each other in this squash side dish!
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECT BROWNED BUTTER BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
HELP! I DON’T KNOW HOW TO CUT BUTTERNUT SQUASH… No worries! I use this method for peeling and dicing it. It makes things easy! (I often use a knife instead of a vegetable peeler)
HOW DO YOU MAKE BROWN BUTTER? Easy! We recommend this step-by-step tutorial that’ll walk you through the whole process. It only takes one ingredient and few minutes to make!
TIP: WATCH THE BUTTER! While it’s super easy to make brown butter, it can turn into burned butter if you’re not watching. It really only takes 3-4 minutes, so I recommend giving it your full attention until it’s browned. (If you’re nervous about over-cooking it, it’s always better to under-cook it than over-cook it.)
YUMMY WAYS TO CHANGE THIS RECIPE UP! If you want to play up the flavors in your brown butter butternut squash, there are lots of easy ways to do it! Try:
- ADD A PINCH OF GARLIC POWDER OR GARLIC SALT. (A little goes a long way!)
- ADD FRESH OR DRIED THYME OR SAGE. Again, a little goes a long way.
- ADD A FEW CHILI FLAKES if you like a little spicy to go with your sweet!
CAN I MAKE THIS WITH VEGAN BUTTER? Vegan butter doesn’t caramelize the same way, so it sadly won’t work for this recipe. It *has* to be real butter to turn into brown butter.
HELPFUL FOR THIS RECIPE: