If you want to skip the chocolate chips, you’ll want to bump up the almonds to a full 2c.
- 1 3/4c almonds (I used sliced, but I’m sure any would work)
- 1/4c chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life brand)*
- 1c dried cherries (I prefer tart cherries)
- 8 dates, pitted (I bought Medjool dates)
- 1/4c raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder*
- pinch salt
- 1–4 Tbsp water, as needed
- In a food processor, pulse almonds, chocolate chips, cherries, dates, cocoa powder, and salt. Continue blending until mixture is finely ground, about 1-2 minutes. With processor running, add water 1 Tbsp at a time until mixture forms a cohesive ball and pulls away from the sides. (Note: if your cherries and dates are wet enough, you may not need any water.)
- Refrigerate 20-30 minutes or until firm. Roll out between two pieces of parchment or plastic wrap, until about 1/2 inch thick. Slice into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator 2-3 days, or the freezer up to 2 months.
These are still soft in the refrigerator or the freezer. They’re also dynamite straight from the fridge or freezer. Good luck making them last!
If you find your bars are quite sticky, you can dust them with a little extra cocoa powder.
*Gluten & Dairy Free Notes: Enjoy Life and Trader Joe’s semisweet chocolate chips are dairy and gluten free. I use Hershey’s unsweetened baking cocoa, which is also safe.