Cherry Chocolate Torte Energy Bars – These are delicious, not-too-sweet, and toddler-friendly
Even before going gluten & dairy free, I was a BIG fan of Larabars. If you’ve not had them before, Larabars are marketed as energy bars, but are pretty much just nuts & dried fruit, with the occasional piece of chocolate thrown in for good measure. My favorite flavors are the Cherry Pie and the Cherry Chocolate Torte. SO GOOD.
The only downside of Larabars for me is price. Typically, I split one with Sophie as part of a snack along with some fruit, but I’m lucky to find them on sale for $1 each. When I realized how easy they’d be to make at home, I knew I had to give them a try.
HOLY MOLY. These were SO easy and very delicious. This is the most decadent of all the versions, thanks to the cocoa powder, but even so, it’s not pumped full of sugar. The only “fancy” ingredient here is the dates. I’ve only recently started buying them, but they’re dried and come with pits. You’ll want to pit them, which you can do easily by making a small slit down the side and pulling them open.
Now that I’ve made these, I’m excited to try other versions! Stay tuned…Print
If you want to skip the chocolate chips, you’ll want to bump up the almonds to a full 2c.
- 1 3/4c almonds (I used sliced, but I’m sure any would work)
- 1/4c chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life brand)*
- 1c dried cherries (I prefer tart cherries)
- 8 dates, pitted (I bought Medjool dates)
- 1/4c raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder*
- pinch salt
- 1–4 Tbsp water, as needed
- In a food processor, pulse almonds, chocolate chips, cherries, dates, cocoa powder, and salt. Continue blending until mixture is finely ground, about 1-2 minutes. With processor running, add water 1 Tbsp at a time until mixture forms a cohesive ball and pulls away from the sides. (Note: if your cherries and dates are wet enough, you may not need any water.)
- Refrigerate 20-30 minutes or until firm. Roll out between two pieces of parchment or plastic wrap, until about 1/2 inch thick. Slice into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator 2-3 days, or the freezer up to 2 months.
These are still soft in the refrigerator or the freezer. They’re also dynamite straight from the fridge or freezer. Good luck making them last!
If you find your bars are quite sticky, you can dust them with a little extra cocoa powder.
*Gluten & Dairy Free Notes: Enjoy Life and Trader Joe’s semisweet chocolate chips are dairy and gluten free. I use Hershey’s unsweetened baking cocoa, which is also safe.